Emma came home from school yesterday very happy because she'd been chosen to walk her friend, a little boy in her class who was just last week diagnosed with diabetes, to the nurse's office for his blood sugar checks. The funny thing is that last year in kindergarten at her old school, it was her job to walk a little girl with diabetes to the nurse each day. I asked Emma if she told her teacher that she had the same job last year, and she said no. She was just chosen twice, because she is so awesome and responsible. She even knows what the numbers mean when the nurse says them. Sheesh! I asked her if the little boy was nervous, since his diagnosis is so new and it was his first day back at school after being hospitalized. She said no. What a brave little kid! Makes my eyes tear up.

Also, after that bit of news, she told me her other bit of good news. She was able to check out from the school library her favorite book. She said she read it twice before. I had no idea. I was blown away. She has a favorite book that I knew nothing about. It's like watching your baby bird fly out of the nest and use her little wings all on her own. Jon watched the baby while Emma and I lay down in bed and she read me the book. Wow. Wow, Shel Silverstein. Way to choke up a postpartum hormonal wreck of a mother. Read that book and tell me it's not about motherhood. Really. You have to read it. Such a short, simple story, and yet soooo complex.

And when Emma was done reading, she informed me that when she grows up, first she is going to have a taco stand like her Uncle Mat (who actually works at Freebirds in Austin), and then she is going to write books and be an artist, and then she is going to be a doctor.


Comments

  1. can't read that fabulous book in my endlessly hormonal state without staving off the waterworks. how are you? how are your beautiful children? are you delirious from fatigue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hanging in there. Jon has been really helpful, thank GAWD. He's had a relatively easy month at work (home by 3 everyday and weekends off!) and has been cooking an cleaning like a mad man. Next month, though, is neurology. And call. Ugh. Trying not to think about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. Keep it nice.

Popular Posts