I woke up packed in ice in the bathtub and my stitches were gone

A couple of weeks ago I had to have a skin biopsy on my belly. Fortunately, I got to go to the Mayo Clinic to have it done, and since they are soooo awesome, I assumed they would just use some spray on mole remover and then send me home with a home health care nurse/barista/pasty chef to take care of me while I recuperated. Well...guess what they sent me home with. A suture removal kit and instructions for my husband to take out the stitches in two weeks! Huh?

Jon: Let's take out those sutures!
me: I'm gonna go vagal. I always go vagal.
Jon: Nah, it won't be bad.
me: Can you do this? It seems pretty complex.
Jon: What do you think I do all day?
me: It's just...do you have enough light?
Jon: Yeah. These scissors are lame. Don't we have some surgical scissors?
me: Surgical scissors??? I'm going vagal.
Jon: Is this how you act at the doctor?
me: Did you page anesthesia? OUCH! It hurts! OUCH! Are you cutting my skin?!
Jon: No, I didn't cut your skin. See? Here's one suture.
me: Going vagal...everything is whiting out...I see a bright light...Grandma?
Jon: I'm firing you as a patient.
me: Where are you going?!
Jon: I'm done.
me: Am I bleeding? Aren't you going to wheel me to post-op? I need you to elevate my feet and bring me some apple juice.

Anyway. I don't have skin cancer. But I do have post traumatic stress disorder from the suture removal.


Comments

  1. Wow, Katie. You are brave. I am SO SO glad you are alright re: biopsy results. Why do doctors have so much faith in regular people? Maybe they think suture removal is like taking off a band-aid. Anyway, I learnt a new word today - vagal. I shall use it on caterpillars. I don't care if it is medical. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm the biggest wimp nerd in the world. I screamed at the beginning when my husband pulled off the tape that was holding the bandage in place. I can't believe I've had 3 babies.
    He actually is a doctor, though, which is maybe why he kept rolling his eyes at me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie -

    This sounds exactly like something that would happen in our house! I also go vagal alot - AND John thinks I am the biggest wimp when he has done 'minor procedures' on me in the past ;) When you are fully recovered we should hang out again!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's so embarrassing! Yes, come over again ANY time! I am keeping a pitcher of iced coffee in the fridge now...mmmm...iced coffee....

    ReplyDelete
  5. holy fuck i just choked on my sandwich. what i meant by 'i am a sailor' in that future post is that i swear like a sailor. there. i said it. and now, back to reading this dialogue again sans sandwich so i don't require resuscitation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I swear like a sailor, too! I constantly have to edit myself.
    Can you treat me for the PTSD? I'll probably never be able to look at a needle and thread again without having flashbacks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. Keep it nice.

Popular Posts