long rambling bad grammar and no pictures

The next holiday is the Fourth of July. That's a good one. No pressure. Just get to eat hot dogs and potato chips all day. When I was 5 years old, I marched in the neighborhood bicentennial parade wearing a Statue of Liberty costume with my Wonder Woman swim suit underneath for when I got too hot. Yeah, in Texas. It took about one block until the Statue of Liberty spun around Linda Carter style and transformed into Wonder Woman. I probably won't do that this year.
The good thing about the Fourth of July is that I don't have to make anything supernatural happen, like, "Oh my goodness, how did all those plastic eggs get in the yard?" or "Really? The tooth fairy was here?!" Did I post about our most recent tooth fairy visit? Let me tell you, between my two toothed children, we have had 17 tooth fairy visits. How long will they keep this up? They soooo totally know there is no tooth fairy, but to admit it would mean no more money under the pillow. It's getting ridiculous because they are so old they stay up later than me. When Ethan lost his most recent tooth, I taped the money to the outside of his bedroom door. I know! That's so horrible! What a cop out! He was still awake, and I was not about to wait all night for him to fall asleep. The next morning he groggily came up the stairs and said accusingly, "The tooth fairy taped the money to my door." I replied, poker-faced, "Oh, really?" And then we sort of had a staring contest to see who would crack first and admit that there is no tooth fairy. He wanted to accuse me of taping the money to the door soooo bad. It was all he could do to hold it in. And I waited, like, "Yes? Something you want to say?" And I could SEE him mentally calculating remaining teeth times dollars divided by nintendo games. And you know what he said? He said, "Mom, I do believe in the tooth fairy." DANG, he's good. Played me like a fiddle.

P.S. I finally exchanged my copy of One Fifth Avenue for one with all pages. I can't wait to see what's not happening!

Comments

  1. As usual, checking my google reader before breakfast. Bad Mother! Bad Mother! Found this post I'd starred because I'd read it while feeding the smallest and had no free hand to type a reply. Yesterday Emily put her most recent popped tooth under her pillow. The two grownups in the house were sick so of course we forgot our Tooth Fairy duties. This morning, E comes out with her tooth and her face all screwed up, saying, "It's still there!" Had to remind her there wasn't really a Tooth Fairy and that Dad and I were just too sick to pay her last night. Then I got a small zippy and put four quarters in it and exchanged those for the tooth (in broad daylight yes) and we had a small discussion on monetary denominations and arithmetic. How bad is that?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. Keep it nice.

Popular Posts