Tutorial!

Here's an idea for a quickie, handmade gift or stocking stuffer you can crank out pretty quickly. Everybody loves a holiday fruitcake, right? Only this one is...a necklace! It will last almost as long as a real fruitcake! This is a great project for medium sized children, too. You could also shorten the string to make a Christmas tree ornament or leave off the string and put a magnet on the back.




Here's what you'll need. The silver tin is the shell of one of those bulk hundred in a bag tealights. You know you have some lying around. The little colored bits are seed beads.





First, poke a small hole in the metal tin with a pin or a nail. I put mine on a cardboard tube while I punched the hole so I wouldn't crush the tin.





Now put a piece of thin wire through the hole like this so you can attach a string later.





Push a ball of polymer clay into the tin. It take about half a package to fill one tin.





Now pick some nice preserved fruity colored seed beads and push them down into the clay. Use a toothpick or knitting needle to really get them down in there. If you stick them in lying on their side, the holes won't show.





After you get all the fruity seed bead bits in place, you can bake it according to the polymer clay instructions.





Let it cool, then brush on a couple of coats of glossy polyurethane (just like real fruitcake!). Add a string and you're finished! Delicious!






No, don't eat it!

Comments

  1. MakeMineCadburys12/12/2009 10:40:00 AM

    What an awesome idea! And I love that you are also recycling something most people would throw away (the candle tin). I think everyone on my list is getting one of these for their refrigerator next year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much sweeter than the real thing! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, so cute. It must hurt your brain to think up so many cute ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mini things are wonderful - animals, clothing, food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! My children are going to love making these on Wednesday afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh haha you are just too hilarious! Just discovered your blog and LOVE IT! Unfortunately will be choosing sleep over holiday crafting, so you and I part ways there, but at least I can admire your awesome stuff and dream about the days when I'll have more time to craft... (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cute! This is one fruitcake I'd love to receive. What a fun project, I'd love to link to it if you didn't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi, what a great tutorial! I have just put a link to you on my blog as I have made a hedgehog from your gorgeous free pattern, thank you!
    http://picciolo-picciolo.blogspot.com

    : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. Keep it nice.

Popular Posts