Before and After Gel Stained Stair Rail

It is FINALLY done. I can't believe it. It took me forever. This is the before. All the houses built after 1970 in the midwest seem to have this golden oak colored trim ALL over the house. Picture this rail with the peanut butter colored paint that was originally there. And that brass chandelier? Ugh, when I get my hands on the builder that's responsible for this. I'm sure he's at Home Depot buying brass ceiling lights (aka boob lights) by the case right now.
So I had to sand and sand and sand. The first whole day was sanding.
I basically took off the shiny finish, because the golden oak stain was so deep in the wood, it would not come off. And I'm not about to go chemically stripping this thing. So I worried how in the world to cover the top part, which I wanted to be deep brown, you know, the kind of brown that looks like years and years of lived in layers of deep. I tried a regular stain on part of it, and it wouldn't penetrate because the wood wasn't completely taken down to a raw stage. It was gummy and awful and I did a test patch and ended up sanding it totally off. So...gel stain was the answer. Minwax. Hickory.
I brushed it on and wiped it off according to directions. I loved the color it was before wiping it off and was bummed when I wiped it off and it was too light. So I brushed on a layer and didn't wipe it off. And then I waited 24 hours (like the can says) to let it dry. And it didn't dry. At first. I was totally panicking. Then, finally, after about 48 hours, it was totally completely 100% dry, like rub your hands all over it no tackiness at all dry. Awesome! Then polyurethane. And then...the balusters. Ugh. I thought they'd be the easier part because it's just paint. And it was easy, actually. It just took FOREVER. It didn't help that my intern is in full on potty training boot camp and every time I climbed up the later and dipped my paint brush into the paint, she yelled that she had to go potty, so I had to climb down and help her. Oh, and speaking of brush, I used the tiniest brush ever for the balusters because the curves are a bitch to paint and it's high gloss so every stroke shows. Ugh. Anyway, enough blabbering. Want the after shot? Here it is!!!
I'm ecstatic. It turned out so pretty. Please picture this with hardwood floors, by the way. That's next on the to do list. This summer.
I'm trying to show you the finished look without showing anything embarrassing in the room just in case I post this on Apartment Therapy and all the commenters see my brass chandelier and start freaking out like over-excited honey badgers.
Also, the handrail on the opposite wall is still golden oak. No idea what to do with it. Also dying to tear out the old fake berber carpet off the stairs. That should be an easy project, right? Ha hahaha.

Comments

  1. Don't you have a husband or is he cooking or something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fabulous. I am not even aware of this gel stain you speak of. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr Jon, would you like to post some pictures on my blog of what you do all day? And when can we do the floors?! You have to get out of the kitchen and help me! I'm dying to start ripping up this carpet! In fact, I'm starting now. When you get home, expect bare plywood. Where is that utility knife?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. And I agree about the builders and boob lights and honey oak. Ours is just as awful. Maybe worse. I've only managed to pain the trim in one room and not even completely. ugh. Must do.

    So, what was the difference (do you think) between the stain and the gel stain? Was it just the consistency so the gel stain lent itself well to clinging on for dear life until it all was absorbed into the wood? I ask because I'm re-staining a baby cradle in the next two weeks and I don't want to botch it - I have only 10 weeks to get a nursery in order!

    Thanks, Katie!

    Chelsea
    chelsealexander@hotmail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chelsea, get outa town, are you having a baby?! Basically gel stain sits on top of the surface and regular stain seeps into the surface. So you can use gel stain, for example, to do a faux wood grain on a metal door. The consistency is like grape jelly and then you stir it up and it gets more liquidy. So the regular stain wouldnt soak into my wood since my wood was already filled with that gawd awful honey oak of which you seem to love as much as me. I feel like I'm making no sense at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the combination of the dark brown and white!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yessiree, ma'am, I'm having a baby! Miracle of miracles, the fertility gods finally shined their non-barren faces upon me.

    I have this awesome cradle I bought 4 (5?) years ago and wanted to redo it in a dark color, or possibly black, but now I'm thinking nix the black and go with the deepest stain I can find. It has a thick lacquer on it right now, which means lots of sanding in my near future. I'm DEFINITELY going with the gel stain, though. I have 2 dressers and a rocking chair I have to paint in the next 10 weeks, in addition to staining a dresser. Wish me luck! I'll be channeling your taste and some good ol' Katie-Mojo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just want to point out that in the future someone will deride you for painting wood. That said, this turned out very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the new paint job and the splash of orange in the background

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my next project!! Thank you for your instructions :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. Keep it nice.

Popular Posts