Scientific Proof that Mod Podge Rocks (And a DIY Custom Phrenology Head!)

Well, my friends, here it is. If there was a scientific journal in which to publish important craft findings, this would be it.
It's Amy Anderson's much awaited compilation of Mod Podge craft goodness, some original works created by the master herself, some contributed by members of the podging community, all beautiful, colorful and fun.
Except my contribution, that is, which isn't colorful at all. In fact, it's sort of grim in a light-hearted way. Remember her? Amy named her Constance. She's my DIY custom phrenology head made of a $5 styrofoam head from Hobby Lobby. Why do they sell those things, anyway? I don't know, but I own 2.
To make your own custom phrenology head, just coat the head with about 4 or 5 coats of Mod Podge to smooth out all the styrofoam bumpiness. After the Mod Podge dries, you can paint the entire head whatever color you like. I chose an antique beige. Then lightly sketch some lines on the head with a pencil. Once you have the lines how you want them, trace over them with a sharpie.
Now comes the fun part. You get to make up nonsense categories, topics, or neuro anatomical features to stick on your head. Print them out on a piece paper (I used beige paper) but be sure to leave a lot of space around each word.
When you hold up the paper to the head, you can see the sharpie lines underneath. Line up the word in the box you want it to appear in, and trace around with a pencil.
Now cut out the word along your traced pencil lines.
And decoupage that sucker on there.
When the Mod Podge dries and you have all the spaces filled in with words, you can draw again along the lines with a sharpie to make it all nice and sharp and clean. And when you are done, you can show the world what's going on inside that head of yours. Or you can make one for a friend just to let him or her know that you got them all figured out.

And buy Amy's book because you totally won't regret it. There are 40 really amazing projects in there that are guaranteed to blow your Mod Podged, mapped out, styrofoam mind.

Comments

  1. Congratulations, Katie! Whoooooooo! But... no salt with your margarita, then? That's the best part! Not that I drink that anymore, now that I have molten nutella, I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooo I love this. I recall seeing it and love the play by play. You always do it right.
    I've been Mod-podging the umph outta some stuff over here. Check it out!

    http://jayniac.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw thanks Katie!! You are amazing. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have copies of your phrenology "map" for download? I laugh at what I see, but wonder about what I can't. I would love a copy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. Keep it nice.

Popular Posts